The SdKfz 124 Wespe (German for "wasp"), also known as Leichte Feldhaubitze 18 auf Fahrgestell Panzerkampfwagen II ("Light field howitzer 18 on Panzer II chassis"), was a German self-propelled artillery vehicle developed and used during the Second World War. It was based on modified Panzer II chassis.
The Wespe first saw combat in 1943 on the Eastern Front, and proved so successful that Hitler ordered all Panzer II production to be reserved for the Wespe alone, dropping other projects such as the Marder II self-propelled anti-tank gun. They were allocated to the armored artillery battalions (Panzerartillerie Abteilungen) of Panzer divisions along with heavier Hummel
self-propelled guns. The Wespe had major success because of its ability
to fit in with the German plan of Blitzkrieg by having a great mobility
along with firepower.
The Wespe stayed in production from February 1943 until
mid-1944. By that time, 682 had been produced, with an additional 158
built as weaponless ammunition carriers.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Flugzeuge / aircraft
- Raritäten / curiosities
- Dioramen / dioramas
- Schiffe / ships
- Militärfahrzeuge / Military Vehicles
- Waffen / weapon
- Cars - Autos / Trucks - LKW's
- Buildings / Gebäude
- Raumfahrt / astronautics
- Science Fiction
- Ausstellungen / Exhibitions
- Originale / originals (foto-stream)
- sonstige Basteleien
- Aviation Art / Luftfahrtbilder