The Martin P5M Marlin (P-5 Marlin after 1962), built by the Glenn L. Martin Company of Middle River, Maryland, is a twin-engined piston-powered flying boat entering service in 1951 and serving into the late 1960s in service with the United States Navy for naval patrol. It also served in the United States Coast Guard and with the French Navy. 285 were produced overall.
The last flying boat operations of the United States Navy were Market Time patrols of VP-40. Maritime surveillance began in February 1965 to locate small craft transporting supplies from North Vietnam to Viet Cong units in South Vietnam. VP-40 operated from seaplane tenders and patrolled off the Mekong delta between Phú Quốc and Vung Tau. The last U.S. Navy P5M, redesignated as an SP-5B, was flown to NAS Patuxent River, Maryland on 12 July 1968 for interim storage pending construction of display area at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, DC. As a display area at Smithsonian did not materialize, the aircraft was later relocated to the National Naval Aviation Museum at NAS Pensacola, Florida where it is currently on display.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Martin_P5M_Marlin
Thanks for watching.
- Flugzeuge / aircraft
- Raritäten / curiosities
- Dioramen / dioramas
- Schiffe / ships
- Militärfahrzeuge / Military Vehicles
- Waffen / weapon
- Cars - Autos / Trucks - LKW's
- Raumfahrt / astronautics
- Science Fiction
- Ausstellungen / Exhibitions
- Originale / originals (foto-stream)
- sonstige Basteleien
- Aviation Art / Luftfahrtbilder